(meteorobs) October Cameloprdalids coming

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Fri Oct 5 09:32:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

I remind you that next night, tomorrow Oct. 6. at about 7 or 8 UT there
will be (at least expected) a brief shower of a few hours from the long
period OCA's.
The parent comet is not known.

The radiant is at about 165, +79, so this favours Northern locations in
the American continent.
Vinf is at about 48km/s and the meteors are expected to be quite bright.

The shower in 2005 was at first expected to be an outburst from the
1-rev trail, but now most probably (because for example observed in
2006) it was from what one may call filament, matherial probably mainly
from a few revolutions back.
There could be the possibility of a stronger surprise-outburts like the
recent Aurigids, now even stronger, maybe .. the filament is stronger
than with Aurigids.
However I expect the probability of this to happen to be only 2 % ?  If
one would happen, the timing could differ several hours from the given
filament timing.

In radio meteor scatter data this is expected to give long overdense
reflections but (depending on the equipment) may not increse the counts,
possibly may even lower, because of more dead time from long reflections.

Of the expected rates I can not say much more than, in 2005 Jarmo
Moilanen captured in his fireball camera with about  90 degree
horizontal view a 12 bright meteors.
This shower was obseved last year but it was cloudy here in Finland an I
do not have now any numbers here.
Then, in my opinion this shower "was present" also in my radio data from
some of the years before 2005, and it looks probably also in Jeff
Brower's data.

My own radio-equipment is expected to be ready to observe, but I myself
will go (leave from here just at 7:30 UT) tomorrow to Artjärvi into the
Ursa meteor-association meeting.
Will have a look at the computer screen before leaving. Some amateurs
are there already tomorrow and try to observe in the morning (if clear),
several hours earlier if there might be some early OCA's.

clear skies,
Esko