(meteorobs) Nice variety of Fireballs occured.

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Sat Oct 6 12:49:40 EDT 2007

I apologize for this rant, BUT.....

This is a bit disconcerting when the following statement is made:

"Ranging from what I CALL category 3 & 4.
Category 3 means medium brightness and more than 1 second duration.
Category 4 means Fainter and 1 second duration."

I do believe there are standards established for classification of
visual fireballs. It may be better at this time to use the standard
language rather than interject a new system that is not universally
accepted..

If it is a fireball,  then stating it  it is brighter than -4 to -3
mag. with a duration of x secs,  most observer would understand the
significance of the visual observation.   There was a discussion on the
classification of fireball on this site Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:07:47 EDT.

I believe the various data bases do not have the categories suggested.
If categories are to be used,  then a discussion has to be held where
there is a common standard for the data. Not a an arbitrary
identification.

George John Drobnock