(meteorobs) Nice variety of Fireballs occured.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Oct 6 18:42:51 EDT 2007

Keep in mind that there's not a lot of value in a precise definition of
"fireball". Meteors are meteors, and they range in brightness from
nearly invisible to nearly blinding. The valuable measures are apparent
magnitude and absolute magnitude, which are rigorously defined (although
in the case of meteors, very difficult to measure with much precision
given the rapid variation with time). I use the IAU definition and flag
meteors as fireballs when their apparent magnitude is brighter than -4.
I find that much more useful than a zenith corrected value. But whatever
you use, all you are really saying is that the meteor was bright.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com