(meteorobs) Nice variety of Fireballs occured.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 6 19:00:00 EDT 2007

On 6-Oct-07, at 3:12 PM, meteoreye at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanx, Ed. I didn't know that the AMS had a reference for their
> definition.
> It's still a bit imprecise, but would suggest -4 or -5 as a cutoff.
>
> Appreciate you help.
>
> Wayne

Wayne:
	When I first started observing meteors back in the early 1950's it was
generally accepted that any meteor brighter than -2.0 magnitude was
considered a fireball.  Today, the generally accepted brightness is any
meteor brighter than the planet Venus or -4.7 magnitude or rounded off
-5.0 magnitude.  The RASC Observers Handbook, Fireball Section, uses
-5.0 or brighter.  Dr. Martin Beech, in his book Meteors and Meteorites
uses the -4.7 mag number.  The cut off limit for a meteorite dropping
fireball is around -6.0 or brighter.  One has to be careful here as
high velocity Cometary fireballs do not drop meteorites as these burn
up in the atmosphere.
Ed