(meteorobs) Nice variety of Fireballs occured.

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 6 19:44:31 EDT 2007

Ambiguity exists whether or not an abserver recoqnizes it or not, in
brightness. That ambiguity is in the fact that it is estimated not
quantitized by any scientific instrumentation. The is the nature of the
beast in visual observing. More particularly.....

That ambiguity is in the personal perception of brightness which varies from
individual to individual. It is not measured but compared BY personal
opinion to another object by the observer at that moment in time.

 The distinction of brilliance differences between -8, -10 or even -12
magnitude, (for example), or -1, -2, -3, -4, -5   is ONLY in the perception
of the individual which is enfluenced by his own vision parameters of rod &
cone. A momentary glance at a meteor does not establish a firm calibration
of amplitude in lux. Just an impression based on prior observations and
estimated. Hopefully it is consistant even though it might not match the
impression of another seeing the same object.

My casual scale is 1 to 5. It has no meaning other than a Class 1 fireball
is typical of the recent Albuqurque and Shingle Springs event. Class 2 is
closer to the recent Nevada City Bolide. Class 3 is a fireball or bolide
with a good brightness & period but not as significant as the Nevada City
event. Class 4 is the typical meteor streak. Class 5 is a barely visible
meteor. It is a simple concept of relative brightness & period requiring no
measure because it is NOT INTENDED to be data entry.

I could have said it was an interesting night for meteors & fireballs. But
instead I pointed out some interesting fireballs were seen at moderate
brightness and it indicated promising events for tonight.

I do not attempt to quantify what can not be calibrated & cross checked
under lab conditions. Certainly not going to assign magnitudes which are of
my own perception.

YCSentinel

Neither does my example of classes have a pretense of being quantively
accurate. It is a convienant way to indicate in the "conversational form"
that I used.... that fireballs were evident and that they were not
particulary spectacular.