(meteorobs) Fw: Draconid Meteor Watch

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 12:38:27 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/8/2007 12:25:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bmccurdy at telusplanet.net writes:

I did play around with the Java applet linked to the spaceweather
website (click on "far away" to open the applet, and change the rate from 1
day to 1 year to see the comet's position just on the date of the shower). I
noted with particular interest the proximity of Giacobini-Zinner in 2018
when, believe it or not, the Moon will be new on Oct.  9.

While the 2018 scenario certainly looks at first glance, rather favorable
for a possible storm (or at least a
significant outburst), independent dust trail computations by folks like
Jeremie, Esko and
Mikhail have shown that we pretty much will miss any dense filaments
that year, suggesting that 2018 will provide little more than perhaps  some
higher-than-normal enhancement.

-- joe rao