(meteorobs) Observation May 18/19 2007 (Bootland Farm)

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 12 01:06:54 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I've never been so late with my observing reports!  It seems that
I've been able to get in a fair amount of observing this summer, but
I could never get around to the reports.  Where did the time go?  I
suppose that it's always better to send them in late than never  :0)

Going way back to the morning of May 19, I enjoyed a short one hour
pre-dawn session at Bootland Farm, along with some first views of the
summer Milky Way with my 80mm Megrez refractor.  I recall this night
being fairly decent, but with some haze near the horizons.  It was
also very noisy... lots of frogs squeaking and squawking from every
direction!  The cool air and lack of mosquitoes for that time of the
year made it an enjoyable session.

Observed meteors for one hour, and the activity was a rather routine
drizzle of sporadics.  No shower activity was noted.  The brightest
meteor was a magnitude -1, yellow streak that crossed Aquila.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: May 18/19 2007
BEGIN: 0620 UT (0220 EDT) END: 0740 UT (0340 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North Elevation: 400 ft
City & Province: Bootland Farm, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
ANT (Antihelions)__________________________16:48 -22
ETA (Eta Aquarids)_________________________23:16 +05
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___FIELD____Teff____F______LM____SPO__ANT__ETA

0620-0740___1757+06___1.08___1.00___6.25____9____0____0

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky). The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None