(meteorobs) Observation June 14/15 2007 (Moose Creek)

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 12 01:07:28 EDT 2007

The month of June was marked by a spell of generally poor weather.
Along with a busier-than-usual schedule (both at work and at home), I
only managed to get in a single meteor observing session during the
entire dark sky period.

Shortly after midnight, I joined several people out at Moose Creek
observing site.  Present were Sanjeev, Danny, Bruce and Donny.  It
was my first time at this site, and the first thing that one notices
there are the impressively flat horizons in all directions.  There
are two bright yard lights facing the south, but they are far away
enough to cause little to no interference.  The site has ample space
for a number of cars, but one drawback that I found is that it tends
to be a dusty area, especially if hasn't rained in a while.  I had to
be cautious when putting anything near the ground otherwise the dust
would tend to stick very easily.  As for sky darkness, it is a notch
below in darkness compared to Bootland.  The distant light domes from
Ottawa, Montreal, Cornwall and Casselman are visible in four
directions, but the skies overhead were quite good with decent
details especially in the summer Milky Way.  A rather nice advantage
with this location appear to be the lack of mosquitoes, even on hot
summer nights.  We enjoyed very good conditions.  Both the
transparency and seeing were above average (4/5) quality when I got
there shortly after midnight.  Not a single cloud either!

My rather un-eventful hour-long meteor session (below) was
compensated by a spectacular view of Jupiter through Sanjeev's 14.5"
Starmaster.  It provided one of the best views of Jupiter that I've
seen in some time... a myriad of cloud belt details including three
large blue festoons, a number of small ovals and even coloration
tints in the GRS!  Certainly a very impressive view considering the
low max-elevation of Jupiter this summer!

While meteor observing, I recorded one definite Xi Draconid
(alternate radiant for the June Lyrids).  Its alignment, velocity and
length all matched perfectly.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 14/15 2007
BEGIN: 0435 UT (0035 EDT) END: 0605 UT (0205 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 200 ft
City & Province: Moose Creek, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
ANT (Antihelions)__________________________18:32 -23
JLY (June Lyrids)__________________________18:32 +35
XDR (Xi Draconids)_________________________18:32 +45
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___FIELD____Teff____F______LM____SPO__ANT__JLY__XDR

0435-0605___1904+17___1.36___1.00___6.22____7____0____0____1  =  8

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky). The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO____1___0___2___3___1_____+3.43
XDR____0___0___1___0___0_____+3.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 8.16 min (time taken for breaks and plots)

Breaks (UT): 5:18-24, 5:50 (10 sec), 5:52 (1:30 min)