(meteorobs) Observation July 11/12 2007 (Bootland Farm)

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 12 01:08:32 EDT 2007

On the Wednesday evening July 11, I drove out to Bootland Farm (dark
site west of Ottawa).  Despite the overcast skies, I got there early
to sleep, and it actually rained from 11pm- 11:30pm.  Then, the skies
then cleared beautifully at midnight, just as the CSC has predicted!
Sanjeev and I had a great and wonderful observing session!  The
transparency was above-average quality, and the Milky Way was
impressive with a wealth of details.  The mosquitoes were another
story... they were relentless all night.

I had a fairly productive meteor session that lasted a little more
than one hour.  A decent amount of sporadic activity, and my plots
reveal weak activity from the CAP, ANT, ACY and JPE.  The meteors
were on the rather faint side tonight, but one of them (the
antihelion) travelled a long 30 degrees path across the sky.

Aside from meteors, the highlight was catching some views in
Sanjeev's 10x42 Zeiss binoculars and his 85mm refractor.  The rich-
field views of the dark nebulas along the Milky Way and comet LINEAR
VZ13 were wonderful!  It goes to show that smaller instruments can go
a long way under a good quality sky.

After I signed off, I went to sleep in my car and then woke up in the
early morning and drove to work.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: July 11/12 2007
BEGIN: 0520 UT (0120 EDT) END: 0640 UT (0240 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76 29' West; Lat: 45 23' North Elevation: 400 ft
City & Province: Bootland Farm, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
CAP (Alpha Capricornids)__________________________19:36 -14
ANT (Antihelions)_________________________________20:20 -18
SDA (Delta Aquarids)______________________________21:56 -19
ACY (Alpha Cygnids)_______________________________20:04 +46
JPE (July Pegasids)_______________________________22:44 +15
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___FIELD____Teff____F______LM____SPO__CAP__ANT__SDA__ACY__JPE

0520-0640___2126
+14___1.24___1.00___6.48___12____1____2____0____1____1 = 17

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky). The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+2__+3__+4______AVE

SPO____3___2___7_____+3.33
ANT____0___1___1_____+3.50
CAP____0___1___0_____+3.00
ACY____1___0___0_____+2.00
JPE____1___0___0_____+2.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 5.74 min (time taken for breaks and plots)

Breaks (UT): None