(meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for October 12-18, 2007

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 01:26:40 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/16/2007 9:47:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
meteoreye at comcast.net writes:

The other source that Rendtel mentions is: "Millman (1936) shows Orionid
rates observed at Bologna by M. Loreta with a peak rate of 50 on 1936 October
22. The rates on the days before and after the maximum are also relatively high
and may this hint at a similar profile as we found it in 2006. The
non-Orionid  rates of about 10-15 in most periods indicate there is no significant over
correction of the Orionid rate."

Rendtel admits it is a relavtively small  sample of observational reports,
but it does seem there may be something  there.

The article from the Astronomical Society of Japan that I mention  includes
the reference to Loreta's observations above, and well as a report by  M.H.
Wright in Popular Astronomy (1936) 44, 570
who "observed a remarkable  shower the night of 1936 October 19. "

Thanks, Wayne! --

It looks like this weekend (and Monday a.m., too) I'll be outside on my  lawn
chair checking the Orionids out. If the 1:6 resonance for these meteoroids
pans out . . . and if Loreta and Wright's observations are to be believed, then
 1936 + 71-years suggests we "might" be in for some exciting observing!

-- joe r.