(meteorobs) Taurid Fireball

pb.oneill pb.oneill at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 18 11:47:05 EDT 2007

I saw a magnificent slow moving meteor on 16 Oct. at approximately 20.45 BST
(19.45 UT) from my home in the suburbs of Belfast, N. Ireland. Towards the
end of its trajectory, it flared to a magnitude that was much brighter than
Venus. It could easily have reached a peak magnitude of -8 to -12.

It was travelling from low in the North East (direction Perseus/Andromeda)
to the South West in an earth skimming trajectory. The Taurid radiant was on
or near the horizon at this time.  It flared up at an altitude of approx. 80
degrees, before disappearing over the roof of my house. The colour remained
a pure intense white.

N.B. Subsequently the meteor was registered by two local integrated
automated video-cam systems, one operated by the Armagh Observatory and the
other by Robert Cobain in Bangor (BangorCam). It was logged at 20:45:13 HR
(16.10.2007)

Regards

Pat O’Neill

Irish Astronomical Association