(meteorobs) Orionids in a row

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 18 16:53:51 EDT 2007

I agree that most can be explained as geostationary satellites- those
that start or stop abruptly, and have uniform intensity. From meddle
northern latitudes geostationary satellites are at the same declination
as Orion, so confusing them for Orionids in images is a definite
possibility. There are a few trails that flare, and such flaring is
unusual, although not impossible, for geostationary satellites. However,
the description of the events given by the photographer makes it sound
as if he personally witnessed these groupings.

Compare these with an APOD from a couple of months ago,
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070815.html . There was the
suggestion that these were caused by meteors, and in fact the imager
witnessed a meteor in that area while the camera was open. But these
streaks can be traced back to known satellites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com