(meteorobs) [Meteorobs] Daytime fireball Observing? - camera question

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Oct 19 13:14:37 EDT 2007

In message <4718CA29.6050204 at heliotown.com>, Thomas Ashcraft
<ashcraft at heliotown.com> writes

>I know there are many significant daytime fireball events from my radio
>observations, especially just after sunrise.
>.
>I am wondering if anyone has experimented with camera lens coatings (
>infrared maybe?)  that would match a fireball's visual heat wavelength
>signature and make it visible in the daytime sky?
>.
>And does anyone or any observatory do daytime visual meteor observing?
>.
>
>Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas,

I'm sure there are many other approaches too, but the following
reference to thermal imaging of daytime meteors is extracted from the
Society for Popular Astronomy (SPA) electronic News Bulletin (ENB) No.
227.

"One noteworthy event was the direct observation of the Perseids, as
far as we know for the very first time, in daylight, using thermal
imagers! Laurence Roberts and colleagues from the company he works
for set up a whole series of such equipment, and ran it from 03h-07h
UT on August 12-13, collecting a total of around 11 hours of data
from the various sensors and video cameras. This followed the
accidental recording of a meteor crossing the daylight sky using such
gear by Laurence and the same team on June 21, around 08h UT.
After Laurence first contacted the Section on June 23 this year about
it, we were able to establish that very little thermal imaging work has
yet been attempted on meteors, except for some overnight observing
by someone from Siemens in Germany, operating a system once
overnight only in May. That system had recorded similar activity levels
to what a visual observer might have seen, so we were hopeful the
daytime operation might be equally successful, as seems to have been
the case. Laurence is still working on the analysis however!"

You can read the full ENB here:

<http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=44452&sid=56166973fc1dfff
f6e2b839de4a2e76b>

--