(meteorobs) Obs: 20 October 2007

David Oesper oesper at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 15:14:08 EDT 2007

20 October 2007 0530 - 0731 UT (20 Oct 12:30 – 2:31 a.m. CDT)

David Oesper
NW of Dodgeville, Wisconsin
43 00 39.5 N, 90 16 05.4 W, ~1110 ft.
Method: Visual, digital voice recorder, talking clock

Zenithal Sky Brightness: 21.37 mag./sq. " @ 0526 UT
Sky Conditions: Clear

0530 – 0630
Orionids: 3
Other: 2
Total Meteors: 5

0630 – 0730
Orionids: 14
Other: 5
Total Meteors: 19

0533 +1 ORI
0540 +3 Aur?
0544  ? ORI
0548 +2 ORI
0552 +3 Aur?

0634 +1 ORI
0639 +2 Spo
?    +4 Spo
0650 +1 ORI
0656 +4 ORI
0701 +4 ORI
0704  ? ORI
0704 +3 ORI
0705 +1 ORI
0706 +1 ORI
0708 +3 Aur?
?    +4 ORI
0712 +0 Spo, slow, Eri towards S horizon
0715 +2 Aur?, medium speed
0716 +3 ORI
0717 +2 ORI
0719 +4 ORI
0720 +1 ORI, 2 sec. train
0728 +4 ORI

0731 +3 ORI

Zenithal Sky Brightness: 21.42 mag./sq. " @ 0736 UT

Comments: First time using digital voice recorder, sometimes
information was clipped between "START" and "STOP".  I need to adjust
the AVR (Automatic Voice Recording) level so the recorder does not
stop during natural pauses in my speech.  The best solution may be to
repeat all information twice, including "START, START" and "STOP,
STOP" to wrap each event.

During the 121 minutes I observed, four medium speed meteors
(generally magnitude +3) appeared to emanate from within a radiant
inside the pentagon of Auriga.