(meteorobs) Orionids from the Netherlands

Koen Miskotte koen.miskotte at versatel.nl
Sun Oct 21 11:04:57 EDT 2007

Hi,
Just a quick note on the Orionids of 19/20 oktober from Ermelo, the Netherlands.
After the passage of a (cold) front sky cleared at Ermelo around 22:30 UT and after 23:05 UT ( 1:05 local time) I could observe to 2:45 (4:45 local time). Longer observing was not possible  because I had to leave to work :-(.
During the first hour there were some patches of clouds (for the whole period 10%). After that the sky was really bright with limithing magnitudes up to 6,6 which I very good for my observing site (a moore) near Ermelo.

Orionids: they put on a good show! I think rates were enhanced 25 %. Many weak ones and also two fireballs. At 01:37:10 UT a -4 Orionid near the radiant in Gemini with a persistant train of 45 seconds and at 02:23:34 UT a -4 Orionid near Messier 42 (Orion-nebula) with 20 seconds train. See also my observations at http://umdb.urania.be/v2/obsview/view.php?id=2437

And then at 1:28:18 UT: a flash of light caugt my attention and quicly I turned my head in opposite direction and saw a brilliant -6 Taurid breaking up at the end of its path! At 00:32:02 I heart a possible sonic boom! It is the second time I heart a sort of boom after a fireball. It was not firework I can tell for sure! The fireball was captured with the all sky camera at Oostkapelle operated by Klaas Jobse. On the image a lot of clouds are visible, still the fireball is visible.
On 22-09-1997 I did see a very slow fireball beginning near Delphinus and ending near gamma Andromeda with a short terminal flare. After that four fragments were still going on to Perseus and disapperaed one by one, the brightest one ended with a short terminal flare of -2. Two minutes after this fireball I heart a weak boom. This type of fireballs are very spectaculair!

Last night I was clouded out, but the coming night looks promising! More later.

Veel Orioniden toegewenst ;-)!
Koen

Koen Miskotte
De La Reystraat 92,