(meteorobs) Oct 21 Orionids from eastern Ontario - high activity!

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 21 11:08:34 EDT 2007

Hello,

I had a terrific night of Orionids observing at Bootland Farm!  I
haven't decoded the tape yet, but I can say that it was easily the
finest display of Orionids that I've ever seen!  Seemed to start
rather normal during the first hour or so after I signed on... But
later on as radiant reached a more decent elevation, the rates
skyrocketed!  Orionids coming at a steady pace of rates of better
than one a minute for some rather long lengths of times, followed by
a few lulls (but really not many) - the action was quite steady.
EVen had a 3 sec period of SEVERAL successive Orionids!!  Lots of
very faint stuff, but good numbers of bright ones as well.  Got in a
magnificent mag -5 ORI fireball... camera caught it too!!  Just as
dawn was about to be on the way, and clouds began to creep in, rates
seemed to taper off.

I quickly reviewed my pictures from the two cameras, and several
Orionids were caught!  One camera even photographed a bright Leo
Minorid!

I'll start working on decoding the tape and post a full report asap.

I'm looking forward to getting out again late tonight!!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario