(meteorobs) Orionid (one) from south Florida USA

Lew Gramer dedalus at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 22 07:38:35 EDT 2007

We had solid cirrus and cirrocumulus decks over Miami (unusual) last night.

So my "count" for this year's Orionids consists of one meteor: I was on my way
from the parking lot into the NOAA lab where I work this morning at 6:22 EDT,
when I spotted a gorgeous, fast yellow mag 0 ORI in Leo. It made for quite an
inspiring site, with Venus, Saturn and Regulus as backdrop! I just wish I
could have gotten a few hours out under the Everglades sky this time... Of
course, observers blessed with free weeknights can still catch the tail end
of this shower tonight - and it is worth observing, both for science and fun.

And here's looking forward to the nice showers of late Fall (Taurids, LEOs,
and especially the Geminids). Oh, and for my US readers - Let's Go Red Sox!

Clear skies all,
Lew Gramer
Homestead FL USA