(meteorobs) Orionids 22 Oct 2007 UT, from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:48:44 EDT 2007

I have finally been able to obtain permission to use a "dark" sky site in
southern Maryland at a farm about 30 miles/50 km. south of my home.  I was
able to observe an hour and ten minutes with a low gibbous moon for a half
hour and 40 minutes of moonless sky before thin cirrus rose in the south and
ruined the sky.  It was worth doing.  My rate of 15 ORIs in an hour is about
twice the Orionid rate I recall when I was in my active observing career in
the late 1980s and throughout the '90s.  Orionids were not bright and the
modal magnitude was +3 but still a thrill.  I had forgotten how "bright"
third magnitude is against a dark sky!

October 22, 2007, Teff=1.16, Lm=5.9, F=1.00, Field Ctr=6H RA; +25 dec
6:28-7:38 UT, moonset at 6:58 UT.
Location: 10 miles/16km south of La Plata, Maryland

Magnitude Distribution for entire session:

ORI: -2, 0 (3), +1, +2 (4), +3 (5), +4 (2); 16 total

EGE: +2 (2), +3; 3 total

TAU: +2

SPO: -1, +1, +2 (3), +4; 6 total

total of 26 for session