(meteorobs) Orionids 22/23 October

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Tue Oct 23 07:39:03 EDT 2007

I just got back from 2 & 1/2 hours of observing Orionids.  The Moon was fairly
low in the West the first half hour, but there were a reasonable number of
Orionids anyway.  The next two hours (4:00-6:00 am CDST; Moon set by 4:20) were
very good with a couple bright fireballs.

In a couple good Orionid years in the past I have seen the Orionids with just as
high rates on the 23th and 24th of October as on the 20th or 21st (thirty plus
per hour).  What is unusual is to see fireballs this long after the "maximum"
night.  In quite a few years I have seen hundreds of Orionids without seeing any
brighter than mag. -3.  Some of you with younger eyes and better sky might have
seen "terrific" numbers this morning.  I will try to get my notes transcribed
tonight.

Paul Martsching
Ames, Iowa