(meteorobs) Fireball or Comet?

Lew.Gramer at noaa.gov Lew.Gramer at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 23 07:34:45 EDT 2007

Al, I believe your friend captured some nice images of a pre-sunrise contrail - a condensation trail formed by ice that condenses around jet engine exhaust, in the middle atmosphere.

I can say it's very likely a contrail for four reasons: first, contrails are just far more common than the other alternatives, which would be a very bright fireball or satellite reentry. Second, this actually appears to get BRIGHTER as the sun comes up - not what you would expect from an ion trail, though a debris trail (which reflects light, rather than glowing) might show this feature. Third, it remains visible against the cirrus in the background, which even the debris trail of a massive fireball would not. And finally, it sounds as though the object actually took minutes - rather than seconds - to reach its full length. Hence it was traveling too slowly to be a fireball, or even a normal re-entry.

That said, of course, you never know! Without an experienced visual observer there to confirm what Mr. Roberts recorded, it would require a detailed review of the photos (probably from the originals) by someone with more experience analyzing images of fireballs and/or reentries than yours truly.

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer