(meteorobs) Few Orionids from Newport, RI - morning of 21 October

FELIX A MARRTINEZ suejam1 at juno.com
Tue Oct 23 10:49:19 EDT 2007

 The past several weeks I was in Newport, Rhode Island (what a blast to
be in the "thick" of Red Sox Nation)  for an International SeaPower
Symposium (over 100 Countries).  Then I was involved in moving large
pieces of furniture and refrigerators around the Home of my Wife's
Parents (Mom & Dad Berg), before bringing several of those pieces of
furniture down here to Central Virginia.  The moving of large furniture
items continues later today!

However, since the Orionids have always been so "near & dear" to my heart
(began official observing during the Orionids of 1976 with Norman W.
McLeod III - my Meteor Observing Mentor), I had to take a peak outside on
the deck of Mom & Dad's Home (very close to Bailey's Beach and Marble
House Mansion).  I was not disappointed!  Between 0342 and 0346 EDT, I
spotted three Orionids (4th, 3rd and 2nd magnitude ones).  Immediately
realized that there was a very good Orionid display in progress and was
saddened by the reality that I had to get some more rest, prior to
driving South in the moving truck with my Wife Suzannah, as we were on a
rather "tight" time schedule to get back down to Northern Virginia to
meet back up with Our Children and Sue's youngest Brother & Wife.

Returning Home safely to Central Virginia yesterday, the clouds moved in
and removed  hope of "catching" a few more Orionids, while the rates were
strong.  Oh well, the Orionids are rather reliable and I should be able
to see them again in the future.  Now on to the Taurids, some Leonids and
a goodly amount of Geminids in December, hopefully in my beloved
"Sunshine State,"  with Lew, Norm and maybe even Bobby!

       In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez