(meteorobs) Fwd: Erupting Comet

ycsentinel stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 25 02:20:10 EDT 2007

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "Roberto" <me3540 at ...> wrote:

> I am now observing it from house, to Rome, Italy. Knot is looked at
> by rough estimate and the mag. it is of 2.7!!! To the binoculars
> 10x50 he appears of orange color.
> Roberto Haver

<snip>

> >  At present the comet looks more like a star than a comet; it does
> not have a discernable tail, but it might grow one as the outburst
> continues.

The core of 17P is very bright now and well defined as seen from my
driveway in City light glow, and is slightly offset of center. 17P has
much better contrast and definition than a nebula, standing out in
sharp relief. Worth looking at with any telescope or spotting scope of
30X or more.

YCSentinel