(meteorobs) Meteorites Galorie in Kansas (Wired Science)

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 25 18:43:42 EDT 2007

This device is typical of many previously designed large metal detectors for
wide area search.

Easily made but most prefer individual hand held wide scan loops. Towable
devices were and are easily made using any of the principles:

1) Balanced induction Bridge - Mine detection, Ferric & non-Ferric
2) Receiver/Transmitter - set for non-Ferric mode or Ferric mode
3) VLF - ground cancelling, Ferric mode (all metal)
4) VLF - ground cancelling, Non-Ferric mode
5) VFO variable frequency oscillator - Audible Ferric & Non-Ferric detection
6) VLF Discrimination - Non-Ferric mode
7) And the list goes on.....

His novelty is that he is doing it on camera for notoriety. Anyone can do
this kind of detection, and it has been done as early as the 1950's with the
first commercial metal detector made by Detectron which was a R-T coil wound
to nullify a modulated RF signal when no Ferric or Non-Ferric metal was
present. Nothing new......... Coil size and shape can be anything.

I started in 1956 but it was just for relics & coins....not meteors. It is a
certainty that I discarded meteors looking for pioneer artifacts. Many were
black encrusted stones. So too were the many that were of magmatic origin.
And this was also true in the late 1990's when I searched desert ghost towns
in the arid areas of Nevada, 40 miles from nearest decent town & water. This
stuff is for the hardy... the dangers are (very real) in desolate badland
exploring alone, OR with a pardner. Snakes, Scorpions, and brush covered
well holes especially are daily threats. A modern mobile phone would have
been nice, and would be essential now. Not having a shower to wash sweat
before crawling into a sleeping bag* (*IF it was cold) bothered me the most.

Larry
<Business name: Treasure Hunters League...a long time ago.>
Somewhat off topic...but the illusion of just a lot of fun is simply not
true. I know.