(meteorobs) Comet challenge

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Tue Oct 30 12:55:29 EDT 2007

Please end the comet challenge discussion now.

This is off-topic for meteorobs.

Since it is slow (full moon, between major showers), discussion of the
visual observation of 17P/Holmes is OK. It is amazing, and suitible for
comments during this period.

But this is not a general astronomy forum, it is about meteor observing,
so discussions about comet origins unrelated to meteor streams don't
really belong here.

Below I have included the ettiquette guidelines foe meteorobs, with the
correct addresses.

If you have any comments about my advice, DO NOT POST TO THE LIST, rather

Your cooperation is apprecaiated

Elf Wayne

POSTING GUIDELINES FOR 'meteorobs' ("Netiquette"):

[This list was first posted in December 2000: the rules here are
ones we have followed on 'meteorobs' since we started in 1996...]

should mention a couple of quick "netiquette" rules which we try
to maintain for our list, so that everyone enjoys participating.

Here they are! Comments are welcome, but PRIVATELY (to our "List
Elf" address of owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org). Those wishing me to
forward or summarize their comments to the list at large, please
just state that wish in your private comments email to me...

In summary:
1) During busy times, stay on topic: METEORS!
2) During quiet times - NOT the Leonid peak! - secondary topics
   (meteorites, comets, mosquitoes, sleeping bags, ...) are OK.
3) Be decent to others
4) Limit quoting in your replies
5) Please do NOT post in HTML format
6) Have fun, and ask questions!

In detail:

1) During busy times of the year, such as the peak weeks of the
Leonids, Geminids, Perseids, etc. please REMAIN ON TOPIC! If
you have any doubts about what is on topic, a message which I
sent out last August [August 2000] should be helpful:

    http://www.meteorobs.org/maillist/msg22686.html
    [This post is reproduced in whole, below...]

2) During quieter times of the year, feel free to "go out on a
limb" and discuss less meteor-specific topics. But PLEASE keep
these to a reasonable (low) volume of posts, and as near our
area of mutual interest as you can.%2