(meteorobs) Birth of a debris stream

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 31 18:19:17 EDT 2007

The axis of the structure, as well as the faint tail or jets that have
been caught in a few images, is at about 200°. I haven't worked out the
projection of the comets antisolar point from our view, but graphically
that looks about right.

I haven't really made the suggestion that this is either a tail or
trail, only that it represents some sort of debris stream. From a comet,
debris can either be largely co-orbiting, which I guess is what you'd
call a trail, or driven by solar wind into a significantly different
orbit, which I guess you'd call a tail. I'd expect the bigger pieces to
be more trail-like, and the fine dust to be in a tail.

The coma is also very transparent, so the structure I imaged may not
even be inside it at all, but could be a foreshortened view of the tail
extending backwards as seen through the coma.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com