(meteorobs) 2007 Aurigid notes

ee rip xmeteorgirlx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 20:35:02 EDT 2007

Hello Lew, Karen and Joe Rao,

Just wanted to let you know that I saw some Aurigid meteors, complete with
their yellow coloring and strong trains despite a moon overhead. I stood in
the shade of a magnolia tree so the moon wasn't directly in my way and faced
NE watching most of that quadrant of sky. In the hour between 4 am and 5 am,
PST, I saw about 30 meteors. It was clear and warm as I am in California
about 17 mi. north of San Francisco in San Anselmo at Latitude: 37.62
Longitude: 122.38 (approximation as these are the coordinates for SF)

The meteors were magnificent, I can appreciate their brightness as I can
only imagine what they would have looked like without a moon. Many of the
trains lasted for over a second. I also saw one burst of 4 at once all
emanating from Auriga at about 4:45 am. I saw Joe Rao's article in Sky and
Telescope and thought you would like my amateur report.

One thing I cannot find is what components make up a meteors' color? Is
there a chart you can point me to?

Thank you,
Elizabeth
94960