(meteorobs) Aurigid sightings from Big Sur, CA

Larry Tesler tesler at pobox.com
Sun Sep 2 12:57:41 EDT 2007

Saturday morning, I was in an area that was cloudless and free from
city lights. But with the moon almost directly overhead and the haze
of seaside humidity, only a few stars were visible to the northeast.

Until 0425 PDT (1125 UTC) I sat in a place with a narrow view of the
northern sky and observed no events. Then I walked to a location with
a wider view that included the eastern sky. There, I immediately
observed a long, bright vertical meteor trail to the northeast. Around
0435 and around 0505, I saw two similar events. Between these three
sightings, I observed approximately four dimmer, shorter trails, one
of which was near the horizon following a horizontal path.

I ran a digital camera for periods of time. The camera was not running
for any of the three brighter events, but was for several smaller
ones. I plan to examine the images Monday night to see whether any
events were imaged.