(meteorobs) Aurigid analysis

Alister aling at telus.net
Wed Sep 12 16:35:32 EDT 2007

Indeed, nice work on the report.

>> clear. The corrected peak ZHR works out to around 3000, although I don't
>> know how meaningful that is when peaks are very narrow. Another measure
>> was that the cameras detected about 50 meteors brighter than mag 2 during
>> the one hour of significant activity.

I apologize if this is a triannual question: "Does ZHR" makes sense if the
population is skewed heavily into the negative magnitudes? The ZHR I thought
was based on greater and greater numbers of fainter meteors. So a decent
number of bright meteors implies a huge number of fainter ones. If the
population of this stream is not typical, then a calculated ZHR could be
very misleading.

Good observing,
Alister Ling
Edmonton, Alberta.