(meteorobs) Aurigid analysis

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 12 17:00:41 EDT 2007

Well, "ZHR" still makes sense, but I don't think my calculation in this
case accurately describes reality. The standard ZHR calculation accounts
for the magnitude distribution of the shower meteors. I used a value
presented by Jenniskens in 1994 (maybe that has been revised... I didn't
check), but the value isn't consistent with what has been reported for
this year's shower, which seems heavily weighted towards brighter
events. That's why I suggested that the value shouldn't be taken very
seriously. The actual activity distribution plot, combined with the fact
that the camera sensitivity is just shy of magnitude 2, provides much
more useful information about the shower behavior.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com