(meteorobs) Meteor software program needed?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 13 11:58:06 EDT 2007

Larry-

It seems to me that your grouping approach makes the process more
complicated, not less. I don't see the need for either grouping or
automatic generation of composites. Here's my workflow:

1. Data is collected with Metrec. This works well to detect meteors (and
airplanes, lightning, bugs... it's not very discriminating). Each event
is logged, a composite image is saved, and a non-standard image sequence
is saved. The camera starts automatically at the end of civil twilight,
and ends at the start of civil twilight. Metrec has some nice
calibration options, but I've not been able to make them work with an
allsky camera, so I don't let it create an advanced log.

2. Data is post processed each morning. Metrec provides a tool for this,
but I don't use it since working in DOS is simply too painful. I have my
own post processing tool that collects the Metrec data from over a
network, applies camera calibration data, and builds a new log file, a
different format image file, and uploads the logs and composite images
to a database at http://meteor.cloudbait.com.

3. From the central database, I can recover measurements from multiple
stations, and apply this to my own tools for orbit analysis or radiant
analysis. Multiple event composites are trivially produced in Photoshop.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com