(meteorobs) Strange Lightcurves

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 15 21:07:19 EDT 2007

It may be that these are particles which enter, flare up, and lose a lot
of their mass to ablation, which is why they become dim. So far, like
any meteor. But perhaps before burning up completely they fragment,
exposing lots more internal surface, so they flare up a second time. We
certainly see this effect with large fireballs; I don't see why it
couldn't happen with much smaller meteors as well. I do think it's
pretty rare- I've caught a few with the allsky cameras, but that's just
a few out of tens of thousands.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory