(meteorobs) PLEASE READ: List Etiquette (Posting Guidelines) for 'meteorobs'

Lew Gramer owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org
Tue Sep 18 08:28:14 EDT 2007

Certain recent threads of discussion on 'meteorobs' have been very informative
and interesting - to me, and I'm sure to many of our readers.

However, it seems an appropriate time to review the Etiquette of our list,
which is VERY STRICTLY enforced, for the convenience of our 1100+ subscribers
and for the thousands of others who read our list via the Web...

First, what is 'meteorobs'?

1) 'meteorobs' is about meteors: any discussion directly relating to meteors
(including meteor photography, fireballs, meteor showers, meteoroid streams,
meteor spectroscopy, radio meteors, questions about basic meteor observing
and recording, etc.) is ALWAYS WELCOME here.

Certain other topics - meteorites, comets, asteroids, weather, observing gear,
etc. - are also welcome if they are at least related to meteors; but only if
our list is not currently too busy with our main topic - which is meteors. :)

(Note again: "meteors" are sky phenomena which are observable by any amateur.
Discussion of meteors is always welcome here. On the other hand, "meteorites"
are material that reaches Earth's surface: they are much rarer, they may have
commercial as well as scientific interest, and discussion about them is ONLY
encouraged here on 'meteorobs' when our list traffic is otherwise light...)

2) 'meteorobs' is a diverse community - meteor science and other astronomy
professionals, experienced meteor amateurs, and total newcomers (as well as
members of the press) are all welcome and very much present here. And our
membership encompasses most of the countries of the world. Some readers have
older mail systems that don't handle HTML well. If possible, post plain text.

As a consequence of both of the above points about our forum, our rules of
decorum MUST be enforced on this list: otherwise, a community like ours could
not survive, let alone thrive as it has done over the past 11+ years...

With that said, here are some things which are NOT welcome on our list:

 o discussion of the relative merits of one astronomy club or another;

 o short-comings (real or perceived) of an individual observer or group;

 o discussion of individual member opinions on "what this list is for";

 o any communication which is - or may be SEEN as - disrespectful to other
   list members, e.g., profanity, "lighten up, Mac", religion, politics, ...

Any of the above discussions may be directed to the List Administrators at any
time (except the profanity! :>). We, your "list elves" will always try to
listen respectfully to your views. Here is the address for your List Admins:
   owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org

Please take note of this address!

Note that in the very rare occasion when one of our readers chooses to direct
unwelcome communications to the list itself, and if they persist in doing so
after having been notified, we may moderate that individual's posts; and if
it still persists, a subscriber can be removed and banned from our list.

If you have any questions, concerns or comments about any of the above -
please DO let us know at "owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org". But please do NOT

Thanks to all, and clear skies around the world!

Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org
http://www.meteorobs.org