(meteorobs) meteorite fall or space garbage?

Jim Pettit jimpettit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 06:52:36 EDT 2007

All--

Here's a link to another English-language article on the Peruvian
'meteorite': http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20875080/

The video is nothing you probably haven't seen already. I find it funny that
even journalists are falling into the trap of saying things such as "Experts
confirm meteorite crash" or "...investigators found a meteorite"; how do
they determine who's an 'investigator' or an 'expert'? Are they talking
about trained and knowledgeable scientists who've made empirical studies of
the supposed impact site, or do they simply apply that moniker to any poor
and superstitious farmer who, while trampling the crater, happens to pick up
a few bits of shattered stone or concrete?

(Here's an earlier story [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20838944/] which
speaks again of "boiling water...coming out of the crater", water which
magically makes people sick when its very vapors are breathed.)

At any rate, if this *were* a meteorite, how big would it have to have been,
and/or how fast would it have to have been going, to create a crater 20
meters wide by 5 meters deep, or roughly 525 cubic meters in volume?