(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

DAVID HOURDEQUIN davidrh at dnet.net
Thu Sep 20 08:17:03 EDT 2007

I missed the PBS program but have often considered the question Lew has posed.  Even in our own club, there is a sense of passivity about the actual act of observing, whether it's with the naked eye, binoculars, telescopes or otherwise, that never ceases to amaze me.

I do think enthusiasm is contagious.  Our imaginations and interests are often triggered by some random event or circumstance that we had not anticipated or mayby even resisted at first.   I also believe some are born with an intrinsic nature and passion for learning and a deep appreciation and curiosity of and about those things that draw our interest.  When the spark of light ignites the curious, wonderful things happen and that first event blossoms into a wonderful passion - a lot like 'love'.

I think a lot of people "don't get it" about a lot of things.  It is sad, because those of us who do, yearn for companionship and sharing of the fun.  My best nights under the stars have been with a companion or companions who enjoyed the fellowship and the beauty of God's Creation.

All this being said, it seems that our ongoing calling is to guide and facilitate the journey of others, however we are able, in experiencing that which we enjoy so much.

Looking up,

David Hourdequin
Highlands, NC