(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Thu Sep 20 08:51:01 EDT 2007

It's an acquired taste, but it probably starts with seeing a good meteor shower such as the Perseids or Geminids at maximum.  There is not a long wait before seeing something and boredom doesn't set in.  Some still don't like it and never will, but those that get enthralled will start to wonder about other times of year or other times of night--and they're hooked.
Meteor-watching is not for everybody. I like the anology of fishing; another one might be like watching chess tournaments--unless you know something about the game it's hard to appreciate what's going on at the tournament and the more you know about chess, the more you like watching others play the game.
I'm just glad I saw the Leonids in '66 and had this hobby for life.  Funny how a Weekly Reader can change your life!

   Pete Bias