(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Robin Gray sevenvalleysent at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 12:08:03 EDT 2007

I didn't see the PBS special, but the reason that
people don't turn on to meteors has interested me for
a long time. I've had each of my three kids out
observing meteors with me but it didn't catch with
them at all. I've tried exposing them to as many of
the wonders of science and the natural world as I
could and none of it has interested them. Friends and
social matters absorb them to the exclusion of
everything else. My grandfather was an entomologist,
my mother a botanist, and I am an entomologist. I've
dropped the flag, that line ends here. My kids should
be at least a little like me, but they have run from
all science, including meteor observation.
To me science, including meteor observation is about
curiosity, awe, wonder, beauty, getting closer to the
Universe through knowledge and experience, and its a
deeply spiritual experience as well. If it is too cold
outside, then get a warmer sleeping bag. But don't
miss the experience.

Robin Gray