(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Michael Boschat aa063 at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Sep 20 15:18:07 EDT 2007

Hello:

 I have been observing meteors since May 1975 and I don't get tired of
looking. The
main problem besides light pollution is the weather being clear on the
night of a meteor shower.
For me I don't own a car so observe mostly from the city unless a local
member of the center
is going to our observatory about 33 miles away and we can see to 6.5
mag. From the
city  on a good night I can see to 5.5 mag. but usually the horizon is
not good up
to 25 degrees with pollution scatter. There are rare nights that I can
see M33 with the
naked eye...but rare. My backup meteor observing is by radio methods.
I also do solar,planetary,and lunar observing and in the summer look for
NLC.

 The best session was standing on a pier at a friend cottage in winter
looking at the Geminids with a windchill of -22c!  they stayed in and
I was the only "nut" to them looking for meteors...it was exeletaring.

--
Clear skies
----