(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:45:20 EDT 2007

Hi to all,

Whatever they tell (negative things,...) about meteor observing; this passion is a piece of my life, I will continue till I die or become severely ill (or blind)...I already saw many events in the past and hope to see a lot more great meteor displays in the future. Even a cold night in early spring with low meteor rates beholds something special. perhaps you are the only guy on the world who is watching the skies for shooting stars.. or to hunt on big meteor showers or outbursts gives me a body and mind full of adrenaline and power. Can you feel the satisfaction and the smile on your face during the morning hours after a main maximum of a big meteor shower, the spirit to hear your tapes full of meteor data as soon as possible and  write it all down on paper, to discover some possible special features in your data.to hear your excitement on tape when you just saw a fireball.. To travel thousands of kilometres to witness a rare outburst.. This never gets boring...

I'm proud to practices this wonderful hobby and there is still a lot of work to do! Keep on observing ;-)

Michel.

ps; the only negative thing over here is that boring and cloudy weather...

ps2: still managed the hold 3 observing session last week. Surprisingly I observed some good activity from 'shower 49' (IMO videodatabase) and saw a -5 sporadic fireball. Still boring???