(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 20 18:03:04 EDT 2007

    "Observing meteors is one of the easiest and most pleasant ways of
stargazing, and requires no equipment whatsoever. One simply reclines on a
blanket or a lawn chair, enjoys the starry sky, and waits for a meteor to
streak by."

                -- Timothy Ferris, "Seeing in the Dark" (the book)
    ***

    I guess it's hard to pack 300 pages into 60 minutes, and there had to be
some casualties along the way, including pretty much that whole chapter on
meteors, fireballs, meteorites, asteroids and comets. More generally, I find
it unfortunate that naked-eye astronomy got short shrift in "Seeing in the
Dark, TV Edition", with a couple of gee whiz statements about the Milky Way
near the beginning, and a short segment on Barnard learning the
constellations as a child. Similarly binoculars got just a single mention,
while telescopes, Go-To telescopes,  remote telescopes, and various imaging
systems hogged the limelight. Boys and their toys, indeed. Admittedly these
are ever-more dominant in amateur astronomy, but not the be-all and end-all.
Unfortunately a net result of Ferris' otherwise fine show -- especially fine
in high-definition, speaking of toys! -- might be to perpetuate that
stereotype that one needs a telescope (and money) to do astronomy.

    To expand on Ferris' sentiments in the above quote, I consider one of
the most wonderful benefits of visual meteor observing to be that when I'm
not observing meteors, I'm still observing. There is much in the sky to be
appreciated with the naked eye: stars both constant and variable,
constellations and asterisms, the subtle motions of the planets, the best
and brightest of the deep sky objects, the fabulous edge-on galaxy we call
the Milky Way. Closer to home are manmade satellites, aurora, local weather,
birds, my own breath of life crystallizing in the crisp predawn air. It is
easy for this observer to feel connected to the cosmos, the link between the
heavens and the Earth being provided by the meteors themselves.

    Wayne W. wrote:

> I've heard it said that looking for meteors is like fishing. Maybe so.

    I know I've said that myself many times, including more than once on
this list, such as this still-valid comment from a post about the 2004
Lyrids:

                "To quote the opening sentence of an article I once wrote,
meteor observing is like fishing, only easier. (Although I'm not a fisherman
myself, as a proud native son of Newfoundland let's just say I know the
type.) One merely needs to sit under an open sky and cast one's eyes in its
direction. While many of my astronomer friends would rather spend their
hours telescopically examining nature's more distant treasures, I frequently
prefer the more holistic experience of naked-eye observing. There is
something about the simplicity of the method that strongly appeals to my
inner Luddite. A hand-held microcassette recorder and a digital watch's
timer announcing the end of each 10-minute bin can be quite enough
technology, thank you. Certainly it's more rewarding and interesting when
the fish are jumping, the cotton is high, and the sky is alive with meteors.
But even when one gets few bites, as tonight, one still gets that
opportunity to reconnect, to have a quiet debate with nature by stopping to
consider its myriad points (of light), and to reflect on one's own thoughts.
As Bob L. and others eloquently pointed out, it's all in one's state of
mind, and I choose to enjoy the process. Besides, you never know when you
might land the Big One."
    ***

    Boring? Redundant? I guess it might appear that way to an outsider. Why
waste a perfectly good sunny afternoon fishing?

    I think a valid comparison can also be made to birding, which to this
dabbler appears to involve a great amount of redundancy and waiting. The
Christmas Bird Count sounds to me like a Perseid Party, but the hardcore
birder can go much deeper, including making serious contributions to science
and nature. But they live for those special moments: just last night I spoke
to a guy who drove many miles out of his way and nearly got lost in the dark
confirming a report of five whooping cranes somewhere in the flats of
Saskatchewan. Most of his story was about inconvenience and confusion, but
when he described the sight of the male whooping cranes doing their mating
display in the setting sunlight, his eyes shone. I rhetorically asked "So
was it worth the effort?" and his reply rang a loud bell: "It was a *life*
observation." I then regaled him with my own story of driving 700 km to see,
through broken cloud, nine Aurigids (and one golden eagle!). I think we
understood one another perfectly.

    Good thing, too, because my purpose at that particular gathering was to
make more good contacts and spread the word on light pollution, which as Joe
Rao and others have pointed out, is hugely detrimental to what we do. Rather
than throw up our hands, surely it is incumbent upon us "naturalists of the
night" to draw attention to the lose-lose-lose scenario that is
irresponsible lighting, and to focus on achieving the individual small wins
that will stem the tide. We are not alone: we have many natural allies in
the naturalist and environmental and artistic communities, including birders
and fishers, park rangers and photographers, poets and philosophers, and
pretty much anybody whose a/vocation allows sufficient time and perspective
to ponder humanity's own place in the grand scheme of things. If you haven't
already, please consider adding your voice to the growing discussion.

    Speaking of which, *this* discussion on meteorobs has been most
enlightening. Thanks for writing, everybody ... and thanks for reading.

    Bruce
    *****