(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

aaron at clevenson.org aaron at clevenson.org
Thu Sep 20 18:51:01 EDT 2007

I am one of the quieter members of the list, and have enjoyed this
discussion.  Awesome thoughts!  I would like to share my thoughts as
well.

I have done 36 hours of "official" observations personally for the
Astronomical League certification.  I also teach Astronomy, and as an
option for an honors project the students can do the same "official"
observations as a project.  The objective is that they must do
something that contributes to astronomy, and as was mentioned this is
one of the few places that an amateur can do that.

Myself, personally...  Although I get great joy in feeling like I am
contributing to science, the effort required to do science is
significant.  It keeps me from just sitting back and enjoying nature's
fireworks.  Also, more often than not, I am doing some kind of
outreach or trianing.  This can not be done while doing scientific
meteor watching either.

I have also had a few hours of sporadic watching that yielded no
meteors.  Granted I did not have the darkest skies, but this is rather
depressing, even to the stout of heart.

Carry-on.

Aaron Clevenson