(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

belatrix belatrix at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 21 00:11:24 EDT 2007

GAS rules the universe! Its just one big pissing contest now, to my
mind,

But I do think 'amateur or casual astronomy' is bigger than ever,
mainly thanks to the tentacles of modern broadband internet, the
Chinese/east asian industrial revolution (lots of cheap but useable
gear), at least here anyway.
  But poor old serious visual meteor observing is definitely down at the
very bottom of the pecking order of amateur observing, even
trainspotting would seem to be more respectable pastime for some reason
lol. and we do seem to be the geekiest of the geeks in their eye's!

But imaging (in all its forms) is the glamour puss of this era of
course, and we have witnessed an amazing explosion in this area, and I
think its all good :-) I mean how good is planetary imaging amongst
amateurs these days for example! and many?/some contribute
scientifically this way, a completely new field almost?

You seem to need to be able to show proof of your efforts instantly and
big note, worldwide, to be considered to be doing something worthwhile.
People seem to dislike anything that requires mental discipline and
restraint, and I have detected a strong undercurrent of
anti-intellectualism amongst many newcomers (unless it is to do with
the technical aspects of equipment or processing, then its the
opposite, which is just plain weird hypocrisy) , and even old-comers
too, not that I thought this area was actually 'intellectual' anyway
lmao, I was surprised.

  Something as basic as visually determining your limiting magnitude
while at your site is somehow repressive and anathema now, and
surprisingly is considered being a spoiler. I actually enjoy those
aspects more than most, and love the stimulation and challenge to the
grey matter. But then if you have just done a 60 hr week, and you just
want mindless unwinding battery recharging and relaxing fun, like
watching tv is, then I don't blame them. I like my hit of 'satori' as
much as the next person, and that is still my favourite and most
important/motivating part of observing, and still the best and easiest
way to find it IMO.

I read and heard some disturbing comments here in oz, during the best
of the apparition of Comet McNaught, from youngsters mostly under 10,
while many many were, they weren't ALL impressed by this amazing sight.
I read of one fathers comment that his youngster said fireworks were
much better to look at, and they were bored almost, as it just sat
there not moving lol!
anyway, could go on bitching, but better shut up now :P things to do
just my 2 cents au worth
cheers
Kearn
ps I agree with just about all the points raised by the other posters
as well :-) its a kinda soup of reasons!