(meteorobs) Why don't more amateurs get it? (Meteors, that is.)

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 21 01:44:33 EDT 2007

Hi Lew-

To be clear, I didn't say that meteor observing is boring or
uncomfortable. Most amateur astronomers, and many people who aren't
astronomically inclined at all enjoy casually watching meteor showers
(especially if they happen before midnight when the weather is warm
<g>). What I actually said is that most people find "dedicated meteor
observation" to be uncomfortable and boring, and I do think that's
probably true. By dedicated observation I'm talking about laying outside
for several hours carefully recording the time and position of every
meteor seen. While that may be a passion for some, it's bloody hard
work, requires a particular and rare constitution, and is- for most-
rather dull if the shower isn't a near storm.

Of course, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with people who
actually do this, but I understand why most people don't "get it".

My own passion is for the analysis and interpretation of meteor data,
but I'm pretty lazy as an observer. That's why my interests lie in
instrumental observations. I can tell you with certainty that both
astronomers and the lay public do get the excitement of meteors when
they are captured on video. I make many presentations on the topic to
groups ranging from elementary school kids to professionals, and most
people are fascinated by meteors, fireballs, showers, and anything
related.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory