(meteorobs) Spme preliminary thoughts on the Peruvian event

mark_vornhusen mark at vornhusen.de
Fri Sep 21 07:01:45 EDT 2007

Dear Andrei,
also there is an eyewitness report that stones rained down from the
sky for several minutes after the main impact. Before the impact there
was a strong sound, like an airplane, reported another eyewitness.
Nearly all reports indicate a meteorite origin of the crater. In my
opinion there is little room for doubts that it was indeed a meteorite
impact. The eyewitness reports don't fit to a volcanic eruption or a
man made explosion.

Meanwhile stones were found around the crater which are attracted by
magnet. All experts at the site confirm a meteor impact. I guess the
geophysicists in Peru are quite experienced because they have so much
volcanoes and know what there are talking about. Here are two news
reports from today:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5isWWHSxCh_u0yUNU9Gpk1qfg996A

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-meteor21sep21,1,5605341.story

Mark

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "Andrei Ol'khovatov" <olkhov at ...> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Despite  permanently changing opinions of  "official meteorite experts"
> citated by mass-media,  it is already possible to work out some
> intermediate lessons.
>
> Whatever the origin of the Peruvian event, the interpretation must
explain
> both the fireball and
> the crater appearence. An idea that one rare event (a large
fireball),  and
> another rare event (a large crater formation in direction of the
fireball
> fall (or even hitting the ground?)) are just pure accidendal
coincidences
> seems not very likely.
> If the meteorite is confirmed then it should be investigated all
"poisoning"
> aspects.
> If the meteorite isnot confirmed, then an origin of the crater and the
> fireball should be investigated.
>
> Also geology structure and altitude of the event (~4 km) should be
taking
> into account.
>
> I can add that in 1990 in former USSR there was a fall  of a meteorte
> later named as Sterlitamak.
> It formed a crater 10 meters in diameter and 4-5 meters in depth.
Its main