(meteorobs) OT...Cave Skylights Spotted on Mars

Robert Gardiner rendrag at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 22 00:38:24 EDT 2007

The answer is no, these are definately caves and not shadows. Using infra red detectors (cameras) they actually look into these dark areas and measure the tempertature. The temperature of the shadows are that of a cave and not a shadow. They are much warmer at night and much cooler in the daytime than shadows would be. Another way of saying it is that the tempertatures in the caves is much steadier than shadows would be. However I think your question is a good one Arlene.