(meteorobs) The Aurigid peak(s) I would believe in

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 29 18:24:50 EDT 2007

Thanks for the nice report.

It is difficult to accurately determine the shape of the activity
profile for a very brief intense shower like this. When you only have
tens of events total, what constitutes statistical significance?

I'm pretty certain that there were two distinct peaks, one in the five
minute period ending at 11:20 and the other in the five minute period
ending at 11:35. The later peak comes after a significant drop in
activity (the five minute period ending at 11:25), so doesn't look like
a shoulder. At least, this is what I see in the data from my cameras,
two of which collected about 50 meteors each. My highest five minute
counts were 6 from one camera and 9 from another. The cameras don't
record meteors dimmer than about mag 2, so it's also possible that what
appears as a gap to me was filled in somewhat by dimmer meteors recorded
by visual observers. I note that most of the frequency distribution data
published elsewhere, including radar data, shows two distinct peaks.

I'm currently performing multiple station analysis of the radiant and
orbits. I'm hoping that will lend some insight into the structure seen
in the activity.

I also look forward to seeing some post-analysis of this shower from the
folks who specialize in the details of the stream structure.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com