(meteorobs) "Ancient record of asteroid impact"

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Wed Apr 2 06:40:55 EDT 2008

Steven Kolins schreef:
> This is interesting
>
> http://news.skymania.com/2008/03/ancient-record-of-asteroid-impact.html
>
> "Ancient record of asteroid impact
> UK space scientists have discovered what they claim is an account of a
> devastating asteroid impact in Europe five thousand years ago. The
> disaster is chronicled on a mysterious clay tablet that has been
> stored in the British Museum since geologists found it in the 19th
> century."

I call "bull" on this. It is impossible to pinpoint an impact point from a
record like this. Even with modern CCD astrometry of NEA sky positions covering
a considerable arc the accuracy is not enough for that. So a clay tablet would
do? Come on!

I think this was an early April Fools joke to expose how gullible people have
become when it comes to "evidence" for a (pre-) historic impact.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)