(meteorobs) "Ancient record of asteroid impact"

Steven Kolins smkolins at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 07:16:41 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 6:40 AM, Marco Langbroek wrote:

> I think this was an early April Fools joke to expose how gullible
> people have
> become when it comes to "evidence" for a (pre-) historic impact.

Except it wasn't released April 1st despite my email.

Most of the news stories play up other angles on the story (the ref I
posted speaks of the fiery path being hot enough to anything
underneath it to be set on fire, the others wonder if this is what
brought down Sodom and Gomorra)

This seems to be the origin of the news stories - a book's been
published.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/aerospace/research/dynamicsandsystems/kofels/kofelsimpactbook.html

Also mentioned and reviewed here - http://skippytheskeptic.blogspot.com/

Here's a August 2003 article about the Köfels slide <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V93-4846K9T-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=3e21b2ca0346059315bb421eedb8cf32

Finding fused rock at the Köfels slide <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1964MinPe...9...86M

I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying it's interesting. It's not an
April fools joke. I can understand why that was said but it's not.

Interestingly the same clay tablet was earlier referenced in another
book with more extreme, even mythological, claims....

<http://books.google.com/books?id=ioXXW15VWGgC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=British+Museum+collection+No.+K8538&source=web&ots=EOIA-TpH5_&sig=8cetRRnh-oRDcguZFvRovST1FOs&hl=en

Apparently the object is hard to decipher and it's got to be explained
away one way or the other.

Steven Kolins
mailto:smkolins at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/smkolins/
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!
They that believe in vain thoughts forsake their own mercy.