(meteorobs) Martian Meteor Shower

Geert Barentsen geert at barentsen.be
Wed Apr 2 16:04:08 EDT 2008

Hi Roberto,

I guess the news is not the prediction, but the actual detection of
meteor activity with a spacecraft (radio science) experiment. If such
techniques are proven to work, you could start dreaming of dedicated
instruments on future spacecrafts to measure the meteor flux on other
planets (wishful thinking...)

So far I am only aware of the detection of a meteor by the Spirit Mars
Rover (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050601_mars_meteor.html)
-- but the light curve is funny and some people claim it may have been
a cosmic ray.

I know some people have been looking into spectrometer data from the
Mars Express and Venus Express missions, to look for signs of elements
like Si/Mg/Fe near predicted showers, but as far as I know without
success...

Best greetings,
Geert