(meteorobs) "Ancient record of asteroid impact"

mexicodoug at aim.com mexicodoug at aim.com
Wed Apr 2 13:24:26 EDT 2008

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the interesting post.  I see you may be skeptical.  IMO this
is one of those things that would make a good movie like the Nicholas
Cage, US Declaration of Independence, Treasures of Ancient Egypt, and
of course his role's relationship with the Knights Templar.

If we pull out our Baloney Detection Kit (received from the
self-professed non-authority elders), this theory seems deficient in
the following areas.

1. There is confusion of correlation with causation.
2. It is post hoc.
3. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
4. How much is an argument from "authority"?
5. Can there be independent confirmation of the "facts."?
6. If there's a chain of argument, every individual link in the chain
must work (especially the premise).
7. Occam's Razor - Have they accounted for alternate hypotheses?
8. Can their hypothesis be disproven (the part about the intentions of
the scribe)?

Still - it is interesting baloney,

Best wishes
Doug