(meteorobs) YCS to Cloudbait

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 15 00:36:37 EDT 2008

> The HandyAvi record clearly shows a point source getting larger with
> very
> small irregular flaring before the first of two explosions which then
> dwindled down to a small hot object that became invisible well after
> the
> last explosion.

The problem is, at the resolution of a video allsky camera _all_ meteors
are point sources. The only reason they appear otherwise is because the
diffracted image spreads out over multiple pixels. The brighter the
image, the more pixels are covered. Measuring the diameter of a meteor
is actually a very accurate way to determine magnitude, and the only way
once your sensor saturates. This is the same situation with astroimages,
where the diameter of a star's image is proportional to its brightness.

> It is unlikely that another Sentinel captured it because the standard
> settings would not have triggered on light with little lateral motion.

If this was a meteor, a camera a few kilometers away would not have seen
a stationary object, so there should have been enough lateral motion to
trigger a capture.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory